The next update of Aswiebe's Market List will be on 04/15/2010.
Permanent link to this newsletter in the archives: http://www.aswiebe.com/
Sometimes the process of getting a story from an idea to a submission feels overwhelming. Weeks to write it. Days to get it critiqued and edited. Hours finding a good market for it, formatting it according to their submission guidelines, and sending it in.
Why not shrink that process down a little? Give yourself a break. Rev up your imagination, find a great idea that can fit in a nutshell, and write a tiny story. Twitfic, or Twitter fiction, is made of complete stories that fit within Twitter's 140-characters-or-less limitation. It's a good exercise in finding just the right words and editing a story down--way down. It'll loosen up your imagination. And it pays a professional rate per word, although that's only because there are so few words.
In the Featured Market section below, I've listed all the active, paying, spec-fic-friendly Twitfic publications that I'm aware of.
As a writing exercise for myself, I've started always keeping a twitfic submission in play. As soon as I hear back about it, I send in an another one. The writing and editing doesn't take much time, and it's fun.
I've had decent success at it, too. Here are two twitfic stories of mine that Thaumatrope has published in the last month, both science fiction with a dash of humor. They're tiny tweets of stories, and free to read. If you like them, share the link.
Things Shiny or Useful
* Michael Moorcock's rules for writing: http://www.guardian.co.uk/
* (This is going in my writing challenges file.) The Lester Dent pulp plot outline: http://www.paper-dragon.com/
* Palahniuk's tips for writers: http://chuckpalahniuk.net/
* An exercise for writing a query letter with voice: http://elanajohnson.blogspot.
* The Starter Guide to Twitter: http://tribalwriter.com/2010/
* Approaches to making a living as a writer: http://chrisguillebeau.com/
* Know that "every scene should do at least two things" adage? Here are some of those things: http://writersdigest.com/
* On Writing Rules: http://ann-leckie.livejournal.
* Read for the editorial inspired by Terry Pratchett: http://www.writing-world.com/
* 10 Synopsis Dos and Donts: http://writersdigest.com/
* Making your story good: http://writersdigest.com/
* Funny: http://storyfix.com/a-
Thaumatrope: Science fiction, fantasy, or horror. Pays $1.20.
Nanoism: All genres, esp. science fiction and fantasy. Reprints okay. Pays $1.50
Outshine: Optimistic, near-future SF prose poems. Pays $5
Tweet the Meat: Horror/weird. No reprints. Pays $1
Market List Updates
To see all the details about these new listings and what they're looking for, as well as hundreds of other listings, go to Aswiebe's Market List and download the latest version of the spreadsheet.
|Name||What they want||Pay Per Word – Fiction||Flat Pay – Fiction (Lowest)||Website|
|Best New Vampire Tales ONE-TIME ANTHOLOGY - DUE 04/30/10||Themed to vampires, reprints only||$0.0100||http://booksofthedead.blogspot.com/2010/03/best-new-vampire-tales-vol-1.html|
|Fear of the Dark ONE-TIME ANTHOLOGY - DUE 12/01/10||Themed to fear of the dark, unknown, nightmares||$0.0090||http://www.horrorbound.com/news.php?readmore=98|
|No More Heroes ONE-TIME ANTHOLOGY - DUE UNTIL FILLED||SF - themed to shared world||$0.0100||http://libraryofthelivingdead.lefora.com/2010/03/08/no-more-heroes-a-super-powered-antho-submissions-o/|
|Short Sharp Shock||All genres - popular fiction||$19.64||http://s3digest.blogspot.com/|
|Moonlight Tuber||All genres - absurdist, experimental, surreal||$45.88||http://moonlighttuber.wordpress.com/|
|Doorways Magazine - DEAD MARKET?||ALL||$0.0500||http://www.ralan.com/antho/listings/eclipse2.htm|
|Mountain Magic ONE-TIME ANTHOLOGY - DUE 03/20/10 - 06/21/10||Appalachian-themed "rural" fantasy and quiet horror||$0.0500||http://www.brianjhatcher.com/mmguidelines.htm|
|Dreams of Decadence||urban fantasy and paranormal romance||$0.0100||http://www.dreamsofdecadencemag.com/|
|Dark Valentine||All genres as long as the story is dark||$10.00||http://darkvalentine.net/index.php/submission-guidelines/|
|Flash Me Magazine||all genres||$25.00||http://www.wingedhalo.com/guidelines.html|
|Tower of Light Fantasy Magazine||All fantasy and blended fantasy genres||$5.00||http://tolfantasy.bookazon.co.uk/submissions.htm|
|Willows - DEAD MARKET||Turn-of-the-century Weird Tales type stories||$25.00||http://thewillowsmagazine.com/guidelines.htm|
|The Strand Magazine||mystery, terror, and the supernatural||$25.00||http://www.strandmag.com/htm/strandmag_guidelines.htm|
|Twelfth Planet Novelette Doubles||Spec-fic||$90.97||http://twelfthplanetpress.wordpress.com/submissions/|
|Dark Fiction Spotlight, The||dark fiction||$0.00||http://tdfspublication.webs.com/submissionguidelines.htm|
|Twelfth Planet Novella Series||Spec-fic||$180.00||http://twelfthplanetpress.wordpress.com/submissions/|
|Redstone Science Fiction||SF||$0.0500||http://redstonesciencefiction.com/guidelines/|
|Basement Stories||All genres - prefers SF/F||$0.0100||http://www.basementstories.org/submissions.html|
|This Mutant Life||Superhero fiction & non-fiction||$4.47||http://www.thismutantlife.com/submissions.htm|
|Seasons in the Abyss ONE-TIME ANTHOLOGY - DUE 04/28/10||Flash horror themed to the seasons||$0.0000||$0.00||http://bloodboundbooksforum.lefora.com/2010/01/06/seasons-in-the-abyss/|
|TheDF_Underground||Dark and disturbed, edgy, cross-genre, and horror||$10.00||http://www.df-underground.com/submissions-underground_subm/|
Aswiebe's Market List
- Aswiebe's Market List is a searchable, sortable spreadsheet of paying fantasy, science fiction, and horror markets. This way it's easy to find, for example, only horror markets that accept reprints greater than 10,000 words. For more information on what it is and how to use it, see About Aswiebe.com's Market Spreadsheet.
- If you find it useful, please consider donating via PayPal to help support it.
- To help prevent these from being flagged as spam, please add this email to your contacts. Thanks!
- If you get a story published in a market on this list, let me know and I'll add a note to the next newsletter!
- Feel free to forward this email on to people you think might find it useful. If you're so moved, go ahead and link to Aswiebe's Market List on your blog or webpage.
- To report a new paying market, go to my contact page.
Aswiebe's Market List
About Aswiebe's Market List
Abra Staffin Wiebe's main website
Abra Staffin Wiebe's blog
Keep writing, keep submitting, and good luck!
Abra Staffin Wiebe, Compiler of Lists
If you were forwarded this email and want to subscribe, go here. To unsubscribe, simply reply to this email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.